Friday 5 August 2016

Broga /Jock Yoga / Jo-Ga?

While driving home yesterday, I heard a discussion on the radio about yoga classes designed specifically for men.

One of my male clients actually brought me a clipping from the newspaper highlighting this new trend.

I am all for it!  Anything that gets men into fitness classes is a positive step in the right direction.

Typically men who make it to the gym, hide out on the machines. I see many guys peeking into my classes out of curiosity but these 'jock' types laugh when I ask them to join the class.

If my class was only for men, maybe they would feel more comfortable giving the experience a try.

Working out alone in the gym has it's advantages. You can exercise on your own schedule. You can work at your own pace and you can do it without engaging with anyone if you wish.

From my point of view, 'jocks' should add a class or two to their routine. It would open their eyes to new exercises and they would receive professional instruction on how to do the exercises safely.

If the class was just for men, these 'jocks' would build a community of support which makes the experience really enjoyable.

The instructor being interviewed said that his classes for men are less serious than typical yoga classes and the focus is on strength, instead of stretch. Men typically do not want to spend time stretching or meditating but once they are in the class enjoying the pump of it all, a teacher like myself can start to sneak in small snippets of tradition.  It is a win win situation for everyone involved.

Love it!

Have a great weekend.
Beth


1 comment:

  1. I agree with your logic but I have done some yoga classes with you in the past and I just don't "feel" the meditation aspect.

    ReplyDelete