Tuesday 19 May 2015

Why Dance?







I have been dancing since I was a little girl.  My Dad would play the piano and I would go crazy twirling and stomping my feet. I took Jazz Ballet as a teen, though I was not very good at it. Ballroom Dancing with my husband was extremely fun but when it got too serious, my husband lost interest.

Once our kids were in school, I decided to head back to school and become a fitness trainer. Learning to teach aerobics was a way that I could work with music and use my passion to help people get fit. In 2010, I attended my first line dance class as a student and I have been hooked ever since.

In the picture above, I had just finished leading a fund raising group through several line dances and because it was also my birthday, I was presented with a cake!  Ester thought I needed some on my face.

I am amazed at the reaction I receive when I say that I teach line dance. Most people think of country music and cowboys and laugh.

First, though I love country music, I use all sorts of music to get my students moving. My skill lies in breaking out of the mold and changing things up the way I think it will work best. Therefore I teach what I think will help my students to be successful and keep them coming back for more. My goal after all is get people out of their chairs, moving.

Sherri, one of my passionate line dance students, gave me an article she found entitled, "Dancing Makes you Smarter," by David Avocado Wolfe.  He suggests that dancing reduces the risk of dementia more than many other common exercise options. He also lists many of the reasons why dancing is good for us:

-Reduces stress and depression
-Increases energy and serotonin
-Improves flexibility, strength, balance and endurance
-Strengthens bones
-Increases mental capacity through cognitive processes


I can only tell you what I have learned in teaching dance.

I find that my Level 2 and 3 line dance classes have incredible balance and fabulous memory. When they first started years ago, it was hard for them to remember 32 count dances, and now they are able to remember 64 count patterns with tags and re-starts all while smiling and moving and laughing. The improvement in memory and the ability to move and think fast is amazing! My students range in age from 50 to 70 years old.

If you have never tried line dance, I suggest you find a class and give it a try, men and women alike. You do not need a partner and the moves are given to you, all you have to do is remember them! You will laugh and you will have fun. 

And if line dance is not your cup of tea, find any dance class that may be calling your name or put on some music in your living room and boogie.

Have a great day.
Beth









No comments:

Post a Comment