Friday 29 May 2015

My Physiotherapist

People often hear me talk about my amazing physiotherapist, well here she is, Andrea Dewar.

Andrea has been keeping me active for many years. In fact, I can't remember when I started seeing her it has been so long but I do know that she has healed me, of each and every injury and for that reason she is a huge part of my life. This picure was taken yesterday beside her lovely pool.



I have had Achilles tendonitis in both ankles on different occasions; a heel spur ( maybe in each foot); a slipped disc in my lower back and a budding shoulder problem last year that resulted in me having trouble driving and lifting my arm. These are just the things that I can remember off of the top of my head.  You see, as soon as something feels wrong or if I experience a new unusual pain, I do not head to my doctor I go to see Andrea first. 

Andrea has helped many members of my family and many of my students.  She just has this amazing sense and ability to zero in on the problem and give us the right exercises to reverse the injury.

Which leads me to my biggest point today.  When you visit a physio, if you have faith in her/him, you have to do exactly what they have instructed you to do or you will not heal.

So many people who come to me with bad experiences with physiotherapy proceed to admit that they did not follow through on their part of the deal.  You are given homework from the physio, it is hard to do but when you actually do it, the way it is laid out, you heal. I know this as I have lived through it time and time again. The key, whether you have to get a referral from your doctor first or not, is to go as soon as you can, while the injury is fresh. Do not wait years for the problem to compound and become bigger and harder to diagnose.

Listen to your body. Your pain experience is the baby crying out in the night, telling you it needs something. Listen and address the issue so you can continue living your life to the fullest!

 Andrea works out of the Action Sport Physio clinic on the West Island in Dollard des Ormeaux and in Vaudreuil. I now joke that I have sent so many people to her that I cannot get in....no worries, I am hooked up!

adewar@actionsportphysio.com

You can also find her on Facebook: Andrea Dewar.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Beth


2 comments:

  1. Hi Beth... I really do not understand anybody who would take the trouble to go to a physiotherapist and not do the exercises (homework) that they are asked to do. How can they expect their condition to improve if they don't deliver their half of the bargain? What is the point of seeing a physio in that case?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. From my experience, people are looking for a quick, easy solution. Physio is far from quick and it can be painful but it works! I have a new site for my blog. betholdfield.ca. I write daily. Almost! Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete