Wednesday 12 August 2015

Yes, I Eat Poutine!

I have been a fitness trainer for over 15 years and I have always tried to encourage healthy eating and physical exercise but I know very well that people are passionate about their food and once in awhile we all want to treat ourselves and have tempting desserts and fatty foods.

Last November, I found out that I was allergic to gluten which meant that I had to say good bye to all things made with flour ( rye, barely, oats etc). So almost all desserts were off my menu and I also had to give up one of my favorite things, french fries.  In Quebec, we have the best french fries and poutine on the planet so this has been a hard shift. Unfortunately, most restaurants fry breaded items in the same oil as the potatoes so I have been french fry free for 7 months until three weeks ago.

I found a restaurant in Saint Laurent, called Ottavio that has a separate area for preparation of gluten free dishes and they have separate oil, so I can now have fries and poutine again. Below is a photo of my guilty pleasure, the Italian Poutine. I literally shed a few tears having fries again.  I wanted to hug the owner/manager but figured I should restrain myself! He bought me this as a gift when he found out we had travelled so far ( an hour) twice within the same week to eat at his restaurant.  When he found out how long it had been since I had fries, he ran away and came back with this!  I am hooked now.




The good news is the food there is delicious for "regular" eaters as well.  I have been there too many times in the last three weeks and I have brought three separate friends/family with me and everyone has loved their food.  I am also lactose intolerant and there is an option for lactose free cheese.  So yummy.

So my message today is I do not just eat kale and spinach...I eat junk food and that is okay.  Once in awhile we all need to have some fun. 

I have found a fabulous, "cup for cup" pastry flour so I am baking again. My husband and I used to make wedding cakes and birthday cakes so it is nice to be able to find my footing again in this gluten free lifestyle.

Now I need to get back to regular exercise and work off all of this poutine!

Have a great day everyone,
Beth

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo!! I didn't realize there's gluten in the oil they fry fries in!! Soooooo happy for you that you can eat poutine again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley...When they fry pogo's or chicken stips in the same oil, the gluten gets in the oil so it is not safe for folks like me..and no matter how hard I try, I cannot make fries like restaurants...plus it is so much work!! :)

      Delete