Tuesday 8 March 2016

Should we stop counting birthdays?

 
 I have heard so many people say, "I stopped counting!"  Perhaps that happens when you reach that dreaded age, whatever age that may be for you.

Birthday's are awkward. We want them to be special and then if nothing extraordinary happens, we can be disappointed. If that special someone forgets to wish us a happy birthday, then somehow we feel neglected or as if we have been let down. We have all been there.

I learned a long time ago that I need to make my own plans for that day.  Surprises are wonderful indeed but just in case they do not happen, we need to book time for ourselves, and treat ourselves in some special way.

Perhaps on our birthday, we should spend time wondering how that little girl or little boy has evolved.We should look back on everything that has lead up to this very moment. We should feel proud for having made it this far!

When I was young, I was a very shy little girl.
Truth be told, I hated gym class.

The fact that I am now a successful fitness trainer, who stands up and leads over 100 students almost every day, is actually quite surprising. How did I, this little girl, become brave enough to accomplish this?

The answer has to be passion.

While I did not like gym class in school because it was all about team sports, I loved dancing. Once I realized that I could combine the two and teach aerobics, I had found my niche. I went back to school at night when my kids were little and I studied and practiced with all of my heart!

I had found my voice and my courage.

That was 18 years ago and I have never regretted a single minute or beat!

We cannot ignore our birthdays altogether. We should not stop counting. We need to take stock once a year and see if we are on the right path. Are we getting where we want to go? Are we happy where we are? Time passes so quickly. Don't waste it feeling badly on your birthday. Be proud and loud!

I am!

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Beth











1 comment: