Thursday 17 March 2016

My GF Update.

When I took this picture I was still having symptoms of gluten sensitivity even though I had eliminated gluten from my life months earlier.

When someone first suggested that my itchy skin condition was dermatitis herpetiformis, or DH, I immediately went off of gluten and my rash improved. This was after having been told I had eczema and other allergies for 4 years.

I have now been gluten free for 15 months and my skin is finally clear. I had read that it can take up to a year for the rash to be completely gone.  As I look back, it feels like it has passed quickly but I can tell you that it was very hard changing my diet completely and learning to how to socialize in a gluten dependent society.

Last week, a student from my class had a few ladies over for lunch and she went out of her way to make the entire meal gluten free.  When I thanked her for her efforts, she said that it was not that hard.  In fact, everyone loved the meal of soup, salad and sandwiches and dessert. We all wanted the recipes. Gluten free can be absolutely delicious to the point where you would never know the difference.

What seemed impossible at first has become very easy. I make all of my food from scratch which is healthier for all of us and I simply use gf condiments and spices for seasonings. In most cases, it is just a matter of asking a few questions and learning some new tricks. Yes the prepared foods are expensive but I rarely buy them and if I do, it is a little treat. We all need that once in a while.

I still must be careful at restaurants and really only go where I know that I can eat gf. I have not been in a fast food restaurant in over 15 months.  No Tim Horton's or McDonald's.  I am saving money and feeling healthier.

Thank you to everyone in my life who tries to accommodate my situation.  I feel the love.

Have a great day everyone.
Beth


1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear this news. As a matter of fact, we should all have a GF diet for better health, especially the desserts!

    ReplyDelete