Thursday 2 July 2015

Getting off gluten may stop your allergies!

I have had no choice but to change the way I eat. I have a terrible skin condition that is directly linked to ingesting gluten.

I had talked about going gluten free years ago and was discouraged by a few people in my life. They thought that it was simply the latest fad that everyone was jumping on. "Oh don't be like those people!"

So many people are trying everything that they can to lose weight and this is of course one of the benefits to going gluten free.  I lost 10 pounds last fall and it has not come back on but it is a hard road to travel.  Simply choosing to be gluten free is far different than being sick if you ingest gluten.

I do not get to cheat and have pizza or cake or donuts when I am down.  I am not complaining, I just want you to know that people with DH or celiac look at gluten as poison that makes them sick.  We would absolutely love it if there was no way that we could accidentally ingest this stuff at your house or in a restaurant so we could completely relax when we are out and have fun too!

Trying to live "normally" in this society and not eat wheat, rye, barley, malt, oats and corn in some cases in next to impossible.

I feel the best I have ever felt so this is part of the good side of going gluten free. I now fill up on fresh fruits and vegetables and meat instead of bread and pasta and dessert. Though I make amazing gluten free desserts now!

The most surprising benefit of going gluten free is my seasonal allergies have disappeared.

I am whispering this because I cannot believe it and I am afraid that I will jinx this somehow.

I have been suffering from allergies since I was 11 years old.  Every spring my nose and eyes start to run. I start sneezing and coughing and it lasts until the first frost.

This is the first year in 37 that I have not taken any allergy pills.  None.  Not one.  I usually have to live on antihistamines just to appear normal 6-8 months of the year.

I cannot believe how great it feels to breathe properly at night and all day long.  My husband has known me since I was 18 and all he has ever known is my allergy story.  He can see that I am not sneezing and wheezing and he too is just as amazed.

If someone had told me that I could get off my allergy medications and live normally simply by taking gluten out of my diet, I would have tried it and thanked them if it worked.  I have spent thousands of dollars on allergy pills.  I would have rather spent that on good food!

If you hate suffering from your allergies, try going gluten free for two weeks. It may change your life.

FYI, the reason this happens has to do with inflammation and the allergy response within your body. My body was already fighting the gluten so when allergy season came along, my body had to go into absolute overdrive to deal with the pollen etc.

As I have told you before, you cannot really know if you need to get off of gluten until you try and it and see what happens.

Anyway, I am not a doctor or a scientist but I know how I feel. It worked for me. 

Have a great day everyone.
Beth


1 comment:

  1. Seems to have helped Eva too!!!! She needed allergy meds in April then we started her gluten free diet in May and nothing!!! Awesome news!!!

    ReplyDelete