Thursday 26 November 2015

Do You Love What You Do?

I have been criticized over the years for expressing how important I believe it is, that we love our jobs. Many of us have jobs that take up eight to ten hours of our day. If we hate our jobs, than this is going to manifest negatively in our bodies.

Perhaps I feel very strongly about the need to love our job because I have seen the negative, physical effects of stress in my clients over the years or perhaps it is because I have read so many self help books and understand the health benefits of being happy in our work. Whatever the reason, I adopted this idea many years ago and it is has helped me to stay happy and positive and relatively stress free. In fact, when I feel stress creeping up in my life, I stop and take the time to evaluate what is going on or what I am doing that is different and I make changes.

I am one of the lucky ones who loves her job. I get so much joy from helping my students achieve their goals, that it makes me want to get out of bed each and every morning.  That being said, this philosophy of only doing things that makes me happy has applied to all of the jobs that I have done over my lifetime. At one point I was a file clerk and I loved that job as well!

Not everyone can simply change their job because it is not making them happy. I realize this and that is why I suggest the self help aisle at Chapter's to so many people. We can learn different strategies to cope with our jobs and the parts of them that are causing stress.  For example I now attend a weekly meditation course. This has helped me tremendously. I highly recommend taking a class if you have a hard time fitting in meditation.

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success." Albert Schweitzer.

We have to make money to live in this world but I have met plenty of rich people who are miserable.

I am not rich in the monetary sense but I am successful because I chose work that makes me happy above all else. I guess the bonus is when we can have both! Perhaps it is focusing on only doing what I love that will bring me to that point. One can hope.

Have a great day.
Beth


No comments:

Post a Comment